The year 2011 marked the beginning of the long-awaited renovation works at Faro airport. The project goal is to increase the airport's response capacity and go from the current 22 aircraft parking places to 33. This will provide the airport with the ability to handle 30 flights and 3 000 passengers per hour instead of the current 24 flights and 2 400 passengers per hour. In annual terms the goal is to go from 6 million to 8 million passengers processed at Faro airport.
In 2015 the first stage of the project was concluded - renewal of road accesses to the terminal, car parks and new outdoor cover structures to support both arrivals and departures. The completion of the new parking displacement and circulation lanes outside the terminal now allows for various types of professionals to have suitable areas to better operate their businesses. As for individuals entering the airport, they now have new rules for traffic circulation, including the recently created “Kiss & Fly” area to drop and pick-up passengers.
In the 2015 fall began the works for the second phase of the renovation project - the expansion of the terminal. The contract is in charge of the national construction company Mota Engil and is estimated at 32.8 million euros. Its completion is scheduled for the spring 2017.
What will change?
- expansion of the terminal from 81 200 m2 to 93 120 m2
- larger public area and better operational areas
- expansion and revitalization of the shopping and restaurant areas
- greater and improved capacity for processing passengers through the security and passport control systems
- modern architecture
- better integration of the terminal with the phase 1 renovation works (already concluded)